Saturday, 26 February 2011

Summer Fic Chapter 9

Riku climbed back into the front seat gulping slightly as Zexion climbed in beside him he lowered his voice.

“Please let me sit here... I don't wanna sit back there with him...”

Riku nodded and checking everyone was in the van turned the keys in the ignition and the engine purred to life.

Marluxia was chatting away to Demyx, Axel was sitting with his arm around him and Namine was flipping through Axel's music magazine.

Roxas, Sora and Kairi were fast asleep in the bedroom.

And alone in the front seat sat Riku driving and Zexion looking out the window.

The blue haired teen pointed out the window.

“Look moo cows...”

Riku glanced over at the green meadow they were driving by, it was full of black and white dairy cows.

“Mmmhmmm...”

Zexion let his gaze drift over to Riku and wondered momentarily what he was thinking...

He seemed so focused yet uneasy...

/Am I making him awkward...?/

Riku watched the road in front of them as it came and went...

His focus was on the road...

But his mind was somewhere else completely.

/Why... Am I feeling this way towards him... Earlier on I hated his guts... I was jealous of him... Next thing he giggles, we're eating together and I'm thinking maybe I'm starting to like him...? This can't be right it can't be this simple.../

He could see Zexion out of the corner of his eye, looking wistfully out of the window...

/Maybe... I'm... I'm some kind of rebound...?/

Then Zexion looked straight over at him and caught his sidewards gaze which he put straight back onto the road.

/You know he's been an asshole to Axel.../

His heart sped up as Zexion kept looking over at him...

/He's been cruel and horrible.../
Zexion looked towards the seats they were sitting on.

/He's been... Is he blushing...?/

Riku looked over at Zexion just as Zexion looked up from the seats.

Both looked wide eyed and turned away from the other fast...

/He was blushing... What does THAT mean...? Do I say something...?/

Zexion was looking out the window his cheeks flushed a dark red colour.

/What the hell just happened... No one has made me do that since.../

Riku's heart was racing in his chest as Zexion's face turned away from the window to look sneakily at him again.

/What do I do...?/

Zexion was shifting in his seat very slowly as if he was going to move closer to Riku...

/Is he moving over?/

Zexion's heart was pounding against his ribcage as he moved very slowly across the seat.

/I wonder if.../

Then before Zexion could make it any further Sora jumped into the front seat between them which sent Zexion straight back to the window where he'd originally been sitting.

“Hey guys!”

Zexion simply stared out the window again like nothing had happened.

Riku's knuckles were white he was gripping the steering wheel so hard...

“Oh... Hi...”

“Hi...”

Sora looked from Zexion to Riku then shrugged and proceeded to tell them about the dreams he'd had.

The blue haired teen gazed sneakily over at Riku now and then as Sora told his stories.

/I don't think he's interested in Sora... Then again, he's got an excellent poker face.../

Riku nodded with feigned interest at Sora's dreams about dancing chocolate milkshakes...

/What was Zexion trying to do that time. Sit closer to me? Maybe it was just my imagination...? But then why was he blushing so much? I've never ever seen Zexion blush. He always seemed so... Sly and confident... Maybe he's just messing with my head... Well he's doing a bloody good job if he is isn't he Riku?/

Sora broke his concentration.

“Are you even listening to me?”

Riku nodded.

“Yes... It's just hard to concentrate on the road and such detailed dreams at the same time...”

The brunette smiled.

“Okay... I'll tell you all about it later then... I'm starving! Do you want me to make you something Riku?”

The silver haired teen shook his head.

“Nah I'm good thanks...”

Zexion moved from his position at the window.

“Actually Sora could you grab me a bottle of water?”

The brunette looked at him oddly then nodded and went about making a sandwich.



Silence once again ruled the front seat.

Zexion sighed and fiddled with the knobs on the radio then looked frustrated when he couldn't get it to work.

Riku absently reached over and turned one of the knobs to turn it on, brushing lightly against Zexion's hand in the process...

Both hesitated for a moment, which Sora promptly broke up with by placing a sandwich on the dashboard.

They pulled back Riku clearing his throat and saying calmly.

“That's the button to turn the radio on...”

Zexion nodded and went back to staring out the window and Riku continued to pay attention to the road.

Sora cocked his head on seeing Riku's face.

“You look kinda flushed... What's up?”

Riku shook his head.

“Guess I'm just a little warm...”

With that he rolled the window down and let the cool breeze ruffle his hair...

Sora took him in...

He had an unfamiliar feeling rising in his gut and he didn't like it one bit...

Riku shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

“Hey guys do you mind if we stop driving for a little bit? I'm not feeling so hot...”

There was a general sound of approval from the occupants of the camper van and Riku started to look for a spot where they could pull over.

“I'll go get you some water!”

Sora ran off to get Riku some water and while the brunette was gone Zexion turned and winked at him.

Riku felt the redness creep back up into his face...

His eyes spotted a sign for a nature reserve and he immediately took the turn off.

“Hey guys look a nature reserve... At least while I get some air you guys will have something to do...”

He pulled into the car park fast and hopped out almost immediately throwing the keys to Marluxia who caught them with ease.

Riku started walking quickly in the direction of the nearest entrance to a forest.

“I'll go after him... Just to make sure he's okay...”

Sora watched as Zexion hopped lazily out of the car after Riku with increased interest.

The feeling in his gut grew.

/I wonder what thats all about...?/

Zexion didn't want to appear too interested...

But could he really help it, with how Riku seemed to be filling up his every thought and emotion right now...

He moved slowly up the path after him and quickened up once he was out of sight.



Marluxia grinned across at Demyx.

“So any chance you wanna play some more?”

The blonde teen blushed.

Axel smiled at him sweetly.

“Only if you want to baby...”

Demyx shrugged.

“Well... If it's cool with you I'd like to go for a walk...”

The redhead grinned at Demyx and taking him by the hand led him out of the van.

They started off up a random path...

“So...”

Axel looked at the awkward blonde.

“What's up?”

“Uhm... No pressure, but I just wondered if you could tell me why... Why you tried to kill yourself now?”

The redhead nodded slowly.

“I can just promise you won't judge me or feel any different about me afterwards...”

Demyx shook his head.

“I can't promise you that... I don't know how it'll make me feel...”

Axel nodded.

“Okay... Well... Basically... I was feeling very lonely...”

“Why were you feeling lonely?”

The redhead sighed.

“Well everyone in the van has known each other for years and years...”

“Uh huh...”

“And well...”

Axel gulped wondering how Demyx would take what he was about to tell him.

“I liked one of the guys in there for a while...”

Demyx nodded.

“How long a while?”

Axel sighed again.

“Years...”

Demyx nodded understanding.

“Go on...”

The redhead sat down on a bemch under some trees.

“Sit down...”

The blonde took a seat near enough to touch but far enough so he could look at Axel.

“Okay... I liked this guy for a long time...”

“Which guy?”

Axel blinked in surprise.

“Why do you want to know that?”

Demyx shrugged.

“Well why not? I mean you know my story... Just because there aren't many details shouldn't mean it doesn't count...”

Axel nodded.

“Okay okay...”

He took a deep breath.

“Right then... I liked Zexion for years...”

Demyx nodded interested.

“So what happened?”

“Well... Him and Marluxia got together...”

“And?”

“I liked him from afar... Nothing ever happened between us...”

“Okay...”

“Until this holiday...”

Demyx's face dropped a little.

“Ohhh... I see...”

“Yeah... But he was still with Marluxia... He slept with me, convincing me that he'd tell Marluxia how it was when we got back... He didn't... He went to him and kissed him the minute we got in and grinned at me... As if to say... 'What you really think I'd leave him for you?'”

Demyx nodded.

“I see...”

Axel sighed.

“Sadly theres more...”

“What else happened?”

“Riku happened...”

“What?”

“We kissed... Once or twice... It was nothing... Then I started to have feelings for him... And he slept with Sora...”

The blonde nodded slowly.

“So thats when...?”

Axel nodded.

“Shortly after that... I met you, kissed you... And got kicked out of the bar by your homophobic stepfather.”

Demyx laughed slightly.

“Then I went back, full of drunken courage and swallowed as many pills as I could...”

“Who found you?”

Axel sighed.

“Zexion was in the bathroom... But in my state I didn't even think to check I just assumed everyone was sleeping or out... He caught me when I fell to the floor and tried to make me vomit...”

“He suceeded?”

Axel shook his head.

“Nope... I kept my jaw clamped shut... But the alcohol you served me did... If I hadn't of been at your bar that night, I could be dead right now and I might never have met you...”

The blonde smiled.

“So why did you punch Zexion?”

Axel rolled his eyes.

“Fucker tried to block me from leaving the camper van... I wanted to go out and walk... Go and see you... But then Riku stopped me... So I said I'd settle down if he would let me stop off at your bar before we left... And he did...”

Demyx nodded thoughtfully.

“It makes sense now...”

“What does?”

“I wondered why those two looked so pissed off when we kissed... Everyone was cheering but those two...”

Axel raised an eyebrow.

“Really? I can't say I noticed...”

Demyx giggled.

“So I'm dating the number one sought after guy in our group?”

Axel shrugged.

“I dunno... Theres other people in there besides Zexion and Riku... And I'm pretty sure neither of them like me anymore...”

Axel stood up and offered his hand to Demyx which he took.

/I wouldn't be so sure about that.../



Roxas woke up and stretched slowly his eyes caught sight of Kairi on the floor.

He stood up and looked at her.

/Poor thing... She's been through a lot.../

With that he picked her up and placed her gently on the bed and pulled the covers over her.

Her eyes flickered open slightly and she whispered Sora's name...

The blonde teen moved a few strands of hair from her face and left her to sleep in peace.

Namine's eyes raised to Roxas leaving the bedroom.

“Hey sleepyhead...”

“Hey...”

“Did you sleep well?”

He nodded thinking about the dreams he'd been having...

“What's wrong?”

About the dark haired baby that looked just like Namine but was in the arms of Kairi...

“Nothing... Just not fully awake yet...”

The baby had grabbed his finger...

“You sure? You seem kinda... Off...”

His lips had met Kairi's...

“Yeah... Just feeling a little disorientated... Where are we anyway?”

They had seemed like a perfect little family...

“Some national park... Riku wasn't feeling too well.”

And for the first time in a while...

“How come? Did he eat something weird?”

He'd felt calmness...

“Yeah him and Zexion had something at the hospital...”

He'd felt happiness...

“Why? Hospital food is awful!”

He'd felt loved...

Namine laughed.

Less than 24 hours ago, he'd loved that laugh...
He'd loved her blonde hair...
Her pale skin...
Every curve and dip of her body...

“I dunno... I guess they were bored...”

In less than 24 hours...
He'd seen her cruelty...
How unsupportive she'd been of her best friend...
How she'd basically forced her to take that pill...

Roxas forced himself to laugh.

Even Roxas knew Kairi had never taken that pill before...
She had strong beliefs in keeping the children you concieved regardless of what happened...
Hell she'd only just lost her virginity to Sora...
She'd loved him and if this situation had of been with Sora she wouldn't have taken that pill...

“So where are they now?”

Namine no longer seemed so sweet...

The blonde girl shrugged.

Kairi however had gained his undisputed respect...

“I have no idea...”

His feelings were changing for her.

Roxas nodded.

She had put his and Namine's relationship before her own morals.

“You know Riku...”

That took guts...
Kairi had guts and balls to spare as far as he was concerned.

Namine looked at his far away expression.

Roxas was pretty sure she was gaining something else too...

“You sure you're okay?”

His heart...

Roxas nodded absently still thinking about Kairi's sleeping figure.

But if she still loved Sora...

Namine shook her head and went back to reading the music magazine.

Would she accept it or would it wind up broken...?

Roxas sighed.

And was it even worth the risk?



Marluxia sat alone on one of chairs thinking.

/We're broken up... It's not me and Zexion anymore... It's me... Alone.../

His brow furrowed.

/He hurt me... I did the right thing... Right?/

Sighing he looked around the room absent mindedly.

Namine was still reading her magazine and Roxas was staring at his feet and Sora appeared to be sulking in the front seat...

He rolled his eyes.

/Great another depressed looking couple and even Sora's sulking.../

“Uh... I'm gonna go for a walk... Would anyone like to join me?”

Namine shook her head and Roxas nodded, she looked at him oddly and then shrugged.

Sora continued pouting and didn't even answer.

“Okay then... Have fun...”

Marluxia walked out of the camper van and stretched Roxas practically started running away from the van.

The pink haired man shrugged and followed obediently.

When Roxas eventually slowed down Marluxia stopped to catch his breath.

“Woah woah woah! Dude time out I'm beat... How about you slow down and we talk about why the hell you're running away from your girlfriend?”

The blonde turned and took in Marluxia.

“What makes you think I'm running from her? Who says I'm not running from Kairi?”

Marluxia shrugged.

“Well the fact that you seemed okay until you came back into contact with Namine.”

“Yes I was sleeping.”

The pink haired man nodded raising a hand to his chin thoughtfully.

“You never acted like that around her before...”

Roxas sighed.

“I'm just stressed out with everything thats happened...”

“You mean you're stressed because you screwed your girls best friend?”

“BY ACCIDENT!”

Marluxia held his hands up.

“Okay okay... Jeez... I was just trying to help you out...”

Roxas stopped walking and looked up to the sky...

“I've just... I don't know...”

The pink haired man laid a hand on Roxas shoulder.

“Hey if you want to talk go ahead... If not that's okay... What's said here stays between you me and the trees.”

Roxas looked into his blue eyes and wondered if he could really trust him...

“Maybe we should just keep walking... I need time to think...”

Marluxia nodded.

“Of course as you wish.”



Kairi woke up slowly and found herself alone...

/What am I doing in the bed? I fell asleep on the floor.../

She looked around herself and found that she was still fully clothed but someone had taken the care to lift her from the floor and tuck her into bed.

/Could it have been... Sora?/

She pondered the thought for a moment and then pushed it away again.

/Even if it was... He doesn't care about me anymore.../

She sighed sadly to herself and lay back again staring at the ceiling.

/This absolutely sucks.../



Riku continued walking quickly into the woods.

/What the hell is going on? Why is Zexion acting like that towards me? Is he just trying to get laid?/

An image of Zexion on top of him flashed through his mind.

/NO NO NO!/

He was shaking his head at himself and backing off when he bumped into someone.

“Zexion?”

He jumped when he realised who it was.

“W...What are you doing here?”

The blue haired teen shrugged.

“You said you weren't feeling well I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

Riku backed away from Zexion slowly and backed himself into a tree.

“I'm okay now... Fantastic in fact... So why don't we head back?”

Zexion approached him slowly.

“Why so nervous Riku?”

He slowly got closer and closer until his body was mere centimetres from Riku's, Zexion breathed gently on Riku's neck making every hair on the older teens body stand on end.

“I... I...”

Zexion backed off and looked into Riku's eyes with an absolute innocence that made Riku question himself.

/Maybe he's not doing this on purpose.../

Zexion started off up the path.

“Well do you wanna go back or would you like to come on a walk with me?”

The silver haired teen hesitated.

/See its innocent... Or a plot to get back at Marluxia...?/

The blue haired teen disappeared out of his sight up the path and Riku went almost immediately after him.

“Hey wait up!”

Zexion cocked his head.

“Have you decided to come with me?”

Riku shrugged and Zexions face lit up in a smile which made Riku's heart all but melt.

“I'm glad, I don't really like walking alone...”

Riku took a deep breath and followed Zexion up the path into the woods.

“I think it's weird how we've never talked much before today...”

Riku shrugged.

“Not really... You were busy with Marluxia and most of my attention was focused on... You know...”

Zexion nodded.

“I only wish I'd have paid more attention to the other people around me rather than lavished it all on him...”

Riku laughed.

“Would you be saying that if you were still together?”

Zexion stopped and shook his head.

“I guess not...”

Riku shrugged.

The blue haired teen looked hopeless.

“I just feel so... Confused...”

“How so?”

Zexion sighed.

“One minute I'm angry... Then I miss him... Then I don't... Then I'm horny... Then I'm frustrated... Then I'm full of longing... Then I'm just blank...”

Riku nodded wondering what exactly he was getting at.

Then suddenly Zexion stopped in front of him and looked into his eyes.

“Have you ever been in love Riku?”

The silver haired teen shook his head.

“I thought I was once... Turns out I wasn't...”

Zexion nodded.

“It seems so fun at first, you can't get them out of your head... Every little touch from them makes your hair stand on end... You long to kiss them... You long to hear their voice... Making love to them is simply mind blowing... Even lying next to them makes you shine with happiness...”

His face turned dreamy for a moment then turned suddenly cold again.

Riku put a hand on Zexion's shoulder.

“Are you okay?”

The blue haired teen let out a long sigh...

“Maybe we should get back...”

Riku nodded and slowly they headed back towards the camper van.

No comments:

Post a Comment